Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pretty Cool Social Skills Apps!!!!

Our school just got 20 something iPad2 tablets that we are starting to use for all types of things at school!! (Since I am only familiar with iPad, I'm not sure if the apps are available for Android).  I have been downloading several social skills apps from The App Store at Apple iTunes to my own personal iPad to use in my small group lunch bunches and individual counseling!!

The kids (and I) are super excited to use the iPads!!!  Today in my 4th grade social skills lunch bunch we worked on inferencing and social clues!  I brought my iPad2 and downloaded the SuperDuper Inc. app What Are They Thinking? from the App Store at Apple iTunes and entered each of my students names.  The What Are They Thinking? app features Webber Photo Cards with 60 different cards with different scenarios.  The object can be for younger children to tap the speech bubble to hear what the person is thinking or it can be used to have older kids make a guess what they think the person in the picture is thinking using inference clues.  For some of my kids that struggle with social skills, this was a great tech-y way to think about what others might be thinking!!  When you enter in the names of the students, the app will also keep score for you and give you a percentage!!! Very cool for tracking progress!!!








Some other iPad2 Apps that I have downloaded but not had a chance to fully look at are:  Social Express Lite, Social HD, Understanding Inferences, Practicing Pragmatics, Listening for Absurdities, What Would You Do At School if..., and What's Being Said?  I can't wait to check those out and I will blog about those as well!!

What Apps are you using for building social skills?  I'd love to learn about more!!!





1 comment:

  1. Check out Penny's Pieces! Students watch the intro video and learn about anger. Then they customize a character (gender & ethnicity) and push the character's button (anger button). Then the character shakes, turns red, and breaks into pieces. Each puzzle piece has either a good or bad coping strategy. The student will drag good coping strategies onto the character (put back together) and drag bad coping strategies into the volcano (which erupts each time a piece is dropped in). An additional stress relief activity is emailed to the parent or counselor.

    ReplyDelete